Saturday, May 16, 2009

Recent metal




I'm beginning with the metal pieces, because this is the area in which I desire to grow the most... I recently learned beginning metal sculpture as part of my last semester at the University. I was/am hooked! These pieces are inspired by bite-mark patterns on a leaf I found in Yosemite National Park, CA last March. Every day in my studio when I work with metal is a great learning process. I need to invest in some more tools to have a completely functioning studio to manipulate the metal the way I would like to... The patterns below are a process of studying the bite patterns and welding the "cuts" from the pieces above together. They are currently up for a show, but I am thinking a great deal about using a diamond point engraving tool with my dremel to etch topography lines in these, similar to my ink pieces below. I look forward to taking many metalsmithing classes in the future!!

No comments: